Guidelines and Procedures for Trademark Registration in Nigeria.
Trademark Registration in Nigeria… A trademark is a recognizable sign, symbol or expression which identifies one’s business products and services from the other. The registration of Trademark is now officially with the Commercial Law Department in the Ministry of Trade and Investment in Nigeria, according to the law in Nigeria under the Trademarks Act Chapter 436 of 1990.
This article highlights the procedures and requirements for registering a Trademark in Nigeria.
Requirements for Trademark Registration.
- Applicant’s full name, nationality and physical address.
- The information about the trademark; it must have a clear and separate representation. N/B: for Trademark registered online, soft copies in JPEG format at a minimum of 1200dpi will be requested.
- For registering your goods in Nigeria, note that the standard used is the International Classification of Goods.
- Power of attorney signed with full details of name(s), address (es) and nationality of applicant(s) and also, the name(s) and capacity of the signatory when the applicant is a company/firm.
Procedures for Trademark Registration.
- Instruct your application for Trademark registration to a local Attorney/Agent in Nigeria who is responsible for filing and processing such applications at the Nigerian Registry of Trademarks, Patents, Designs and Copyrights.
- After the application, the registrar then issues an official acknowledgement which reflects the number and filing date of the application.
- A thorough search is carried out to confirm the Trademark is unique from existing or pending registration. After the search, if the Trademark is accepted, the applicant will be issued a letter/notice of acceptance.
- The Trademark application must be advertised in the Nigerian Trademark Journal for a period of two months and is open for opposition for that period.
- If there are no objections, the applicant will be issued a certificate of registration by the registrar.
Note: your Trademark can be registered in either black and white or coloured.
What’s your take on this? We believe this article was interesting right, if yes, don’t hesitate using our share button below to inform – friends and relation via Facebook, twitter or Google+.
Join Over 500,000+ Readers Online Now!
♦ Subscribe NOW to Latest GIST from CSN PORTAL in Your EMAIL ADDRESS
Get Latest Smart Phones at a Cheap and Affordable Price @ TECHDRILLERS.COM
Copyright Warning: Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [email protected] to file a complaint & actions will be taken immediately.
Don’t Attend to Any Call from this WEBSITES Pertaining to any Job or Scholarship Offer Requiring Money.